Thursday, September 9, 2010

Usbourne Encyclopedia's

I purchased Usbourne's Science and History of the World  from Amazon.(herein after referred to as u.s.e. and u.w.h, 'cause otherwise I'll never get done with this post!)  First I was a little tee'd off at Amazon for being "out of Stock" on u.w.h. in paperback(new), but having other sellers for exact same price (used!).  I got the overpriced USED book anyway.  The Science book was same price hardback new.... go figure? 
Anyway enough about annoying Amazon.
U.S.E. - is a great reference book.  Gives all of the highlights you'd want with some detail.  These books are "Internet linked".  Which means if you go to the Usborne Quicklinks website and put in your page number you'll get links to various useful websites.  I really like the book.  It's got great images and is written so even my 4th grader can understand, yet won't bore an older child.  I'll explain at the end of the post how I'm putting these books to use.
U.W.H. - is better then great.  It also gives highlights and some detail, but the Quicklinks is spectacular.  I love the Catal Huyuk section of the book.  Only one page in the encyclopedia, but there are links to digs going on in the Mid East.  These are fun and educational, my kids can't get enough. 

What I also like about both is that they give you just the highlights, not too much detail.  I am using these books as the structure of our course work. 
I should mention that I have started designing our studies from the ground up this year.  We have spent the last 3 years using textbooks. Mostly used Public School crap, since the boxed curriculum for HS'ers is so religious.  Year after year it's the same thing, just regurgitated and spewed back out.  So this year we're going to learn something new! 
My plan is to section off the various pages in the encyclopedia's into "chapters".  With the basic info and the amazing Quicklinks, as well as fiction (often referred to as "living" books) added in for a  richer learning experience.  I'm going to try to post each days assignments to give you the idea of what were working on. 
I would actually appreciate any and all recommendations for "living" books you might have.  The more "classical" the better.  I plan on using a lot of free books from the Gutenberg Project( http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page amazing resource!).  In fact I have found a great many books by author G.A. Henty.  We really like Adventure stories in my house and that is exactly what he writes.  So starting on the 9/13 look for our schedule and if I can keep up, some lesson plans.

Here's a link you should check out http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/full-episodes.do#zoo-vets-full-episode   .  Not a lot of full length video's but what they have are really well done. 

I'm not an "unschooler" but I really like this post on ...p.s. bohemian's blog, here's the link- http://psbohemian.blogspot.com/2010/07/unschoolers-bill-of-rights-guest-post.html

Okay, I think that's all for now.  I'm going to be cleaning everything in my house over the next few days.  This is in anticipation of the "Invasion of the Baby Bump".  My little sister who's belly (I've been told) resembles a beach ball/watermelon will be arriving Saturday for an extended visit.  My Daddy (yes I still call him Daddy) is bringing her, Monkey 9, and Calla-Lily, 3(not the children's real names) to stay until the baby is born.  She's been told to stay off her feet (we will NOT call it bed rest unless we want our heads removed) so I get to be stand in Mommy for a few weeks.  She also Homeschools her children so it should be a madhouse around here for awhile.  I really am looking forward to it... no really I swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment