Thursday, September 2, 2010

New to Blogging...

So as the headline says, I'm new to blogging. The idea that other people might be interested in what I have to say is strange.  But I often find myself checking out other people's blogs for ideas and links to the things I'm interested in.  So that's what  kind of blog I'm going to write.  All about the things I'm interested in, that you might be interested in also.

So to start with you might have noticed the name of this little blog.. yep that's right HOMESCHOOL.  We are happy homeschooling fools.  I should make a point that we are SECULAR.  No I am not yelling this.  Just want to make sure that if you're doing a quick scan you know this right up front.  That does NOT (still not yelling) mean we are anti-religion.  It just means that religion is not the reason we homeschool.
So your question might be "why do you homeschool?"  My children although very intelligent, have never done well in the Public School environment.  Alex, 9 is without a doubt a Visual-Spatial Learner (more on that later).  He dawdles (I love that word, makes me think of ducks) over everything.  While in first grade his teacher always kept him inside during recess.  All the other kids got to go out to play, but my son had to finish his work.  This teacher, would complain that my son was easily distracted, fidgeted constantly, and didn't pay attention to her (duh! He was 6).  She seemed to take it personally.  Like he was doing it just to tick her off.  He started homeschooling the next week. 

Aubrey on the other hand did very well with the work.  She soaked up everything they had to teach her.  Her teacher's (wonderful, Miss Robyn) only complaint was that she talked to much.  But her being so adorable she was easily forgiven.  For Aubrey though, the problem wasn't school, it was other girls.  As we all know grade school can be hell for a sensitive child.  She could never understand how this little girl would be her friend one day and be mean to her the next.  It got to the point that she came home crying every day.  I was told by the principal that children have to learn to deal with each other.  My suggestion that Aubrey tell the other girl she would speak/ play with her anymore was not met with much approval (they called it emotional blackmail).  I would not allow my child to be in an environment that did little to punish bullies, nor encourage the bullied to stick up for themselves.

Most of all I hate the idea of someone I don't know raising my child for me.  Teaching them their idea of right and wrong.  Telling them when they can use the bathroom, how long they have to eat, when they can speak.  For me Public school seems to be a very expensive form of obedience training, can you say "Sit. Good dog!"

So there you have it.
Now for the good stuff!
Cool Homeschool Links
I recently found this site www.cosmeo.com
It is a PAY site. They do offer a free trial.  Lots of video's and games from Discovery and other school type places.  Also some very good games for math and grammar ( from www.iknowthat.com ) included in the price. After the 1 month free trial it's only $10/mo.  I'm still in my free trial phase, but I will give an update at the end of it.
Also a must for homeschoolers is http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/  very, very good money saving site.  They get special prices on curriculum.  Plus they have free stuff too.
Last but certainly not least is a great forum  http://www.secularhomeschool.com/forum.php  Lots of wonderful and experienced homeschoolers who are always happy to help you.

3 comments:

  1. I love homeschooling blogs - just to see what other people are using, what they like, how they apply things... it fascinates me :)
    I look forward to reading more!
    (I found you through SecularHomeschool.com)
    ~h

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son robert had the same problems-both of them-so as you can imagine public school was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to blogging too--sort of.
    I know exactly what you're saying about schools. I've read a lot of books about the subject of schools/homeschooling and they address issues like these over and over again. There is no doubt in my mind our kids are getting MORE out of homeschooling than they would ever get elsewhere.
    Thank you for the links!!! Off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete